Known as a Reuben sandwich, done vegan style on grilled Rye sourdough with a sauerkraut topping and sans any cheese or dressing. An air fryer is used to cook the tempeh
Vegan Tempeh Reuben Sandwich with a few fermented ingredients…
Vegan fermented foods are super healthy for your gut health. There is a plethora of information about fermented foods and its beneficial health benefits, according to food and fitness experts. (2021, Livestrong.com). This open-faced sandwich is salty and delivers on that salty pickle like crunch. Look for a *next to the fermented foods listed in this recipe.
Vegan Tempeh Reuben Recipe
1 slice sourdough* Rye bread
1/3 cup organic sauerkraut*
1/2 block tempeh*, sliced 1-2″ pieces
1 Tablespoon Avocado oil
1 Tbsp Pastrami spice *see recipe below
- In a flat container, drizzle tempeh with 1/2 Tablespoon avocado oil and pastrami spice.
- This is a dry rub and has more flavor if it marinates on the tempeh for 20-30 minutes, at room temperature.
- Heat your air fryer to 390 degrees. Line an air fryer basket with parchment cooking sheet.
- Cook the tempeh for 15 minutes, or until it’s browned. Turn halfway through cooking.
- Heat a small pan over medium low heat.
- Brush each side of the sourdough rye bread with the remaining olive oil.
- Place one side down and cook until browned, about 5minutes. Turn and cook the other side down.
- To serve, spoon sauerkraut on top of the rye bread and add Pastrami tempeh. Enjoy!
Pastrami Spice Recipe
courtesy of the Cooking Channel
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
2 tablespoons lightly packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- Toast the coriander and mustard seeds in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Add the cooled seeds, sugar, paprika, salt, garlic and cloves to a spice grinder and grind to the texture of dry sand. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the pepper. Keep in an airtight container at room temperature in a dry place away from sunlight for up to 3 months.